This time Irene’s mom came to talk with us about South Africa. Second grade students at Rocky River were lucky to hear all about Cape Town and South Africa.
These are things we learned…
- There are the Big Five- they are the rhino, elephant, buffalo, leopard and lion.
- Where the oceans meet at the end they are different colors because warm water and cold water don’t mix.
- There are white sharks.
- They have gold and diamonds.
- They have the rand as currency = 100 cents
- They like to barbeque.
- They make many items- clothing, spears, shields, cravings, crafts.
- They have two flags.
- Their clothing is different from ours.
We think Tom should have encountered more of the big five to have more adventures in the book The Boy Who Biked the World. His journal pages told us things about each place but we think it would have been good for the book to have more sensory details woven into the actual story line after we heard about South Africa.