South Africa

This time Irene’s mom came to talk with us about South Africa.  Second grade students at Rocky River were lucky to hear all about Cape Town and South Africa.

These are things we learned…

• There are the Big Five-  they are the rhino, elephant, buffalo, leopard and lion.
  • Where the oceans meet at the end they are different colors because warm water and cold water don’t mix.
  • There are white sharks.
  • They have gold and diamonds.
  • They have the rand as currency = 100 cents
  • They like to barbeque.
  • They make many items- clothing, spears, shields, cravings, crafts.
  • They have two flags.
  • Their clothing is different from ours.

We think Tom should have encountered more of the big five to have more adventures in the book The Boy Who Biked the World.  His journal pages told us things about each place but we think it would have been good for the book to have more sensory details woven into the actual story line after we heard about South Africa.

3 thoughts on “South Africa

1. Dear Roadrunners
    It was a nice surprise to find a comment from your teacher on our blog this morning.
    We are a class of Year 2 and 3 children, aged 6 and 7. Year 3 in New Zealand is like Grade 2 in USA.
    In New Zealand we usually start school on the day we turn 5 years old. That means we all start at different times of the year!
    Because we live in a small town, our school has students from 5-18 years old.

We live an hour from the ocean. In our area we have dairy farms and coal mines and a gold mine.
    There are no volcanoes near-by although within an hours drive we have a thermal area.

Here is a link to a post about our school that B4 children made in 2010.

Our new project for this term is quad-blogging with our buddies. You can read about it on our blog!

warm wishes
    Mrs McKenzie

2. I agree that the book does need more adventures within the main adventure. I suppose one could argue that those are the adventure left for us to create. South Africans are mad about sport and there is a great rivalry between the very good SA cricket team and the even better England team, the opposite would be true of our rugby teams.
    I love the way people with different backgrounds come in and tell you about their countries.
    Perhaps we could set up a Skype with Mrs Monaghan and I telling you about England … she can do the classy culture stuff and I can do the history of sport! 🙂

Mr E
    Hawes

3. South Africa has one of the most amazing train journeys in the world, on the luxurious Blue Train. I would love to travel from Pretoria to Cape Town because the scenery would be spectacular, and I adore train journeys. Do you travel by train much in North Carolina? We can get to London in 2.5hours from our nearest station, Northallerton, which is about 40 minutes drive from our school.

We agree that an encounter with the Big 5 would have made Tom’s journey a little more spicy! I was lucky enough to go on safari to Botswana a few years ago, and one night a large creature rested against our tent… we could feel its warmth and its breathing on the other side of the canvas, and we were TERRIFIED! We thought it was a lion, but we were far too scared to get out of the tent and go and have a look…

Mrs M & A Room with a View