Field Trip- Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden

On Thursday October 17 th we had fun on our first field trip of the year.  It was a long bus ride and some of us went to sleep.   We saw pumpkins decorated in beautiful ways, we saw ladybugs, we planted a plant to take home and we looked at life cycles of mealy worms.    We saw exotic plants.

2 thoughts on “Field Trip- Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden

1. That looks like a fabulous field trip – what a great place to visit! I just love those decorated pumpkins – I think that is much more of a tradition in the US than in England. We seem to have ‘borrowed’ the pumpkins from the States for our Hallowe’en. When I was a child, we had to hollow out a turnip to make a turnip lantern for Hallowe’en. I don’t know if you get turnips, but it took about a week to do and gave you blisters all over your hands as it is such a tough vegetable! Pumpkins are much MUCH easier to make lanterns from!

Class 2 are going on a field trip on Tuesday to visit a quarry, as part of our work on Rocks and Soils. We can compare trips!

Mrs Monaghan

2. We eat turnips both raw and cooked. We’ve never tried making a turnip lantern. Pumpkins are messy and have pulp and seeds inside. We like to cook the seeds and eat pumpkin seeds. We love pumpkin pie. We also have pumpkin cakes, cookies and muffins. We make faces on our pumpkins by painting or craving noses, eyes and mouths. As you see we can decorate them. They come in many sizes.

Have you used anything else for lanterns? How did you make the turnip lantern? Do you have a picture?