We learn about Sweden

Sweden

The author of Pippi Longstocking was from Sweden.  Her name is  Astrid Lindgren.  Sweden is also home to Swedish fish.  Sweden has lots of famous people.   

Lots of cars were made in Sweden like the Volvo.  Sweden’s favorite sport is hockey because it is more up north where there is colder weather.

Sweden’s favorite food is fish and it is a tradition to eat crayfish in the midsummer.  Some of the other foods are Swedish meatballs and pea soup.

In one of the holidays the oldest girl in the house wakes up early and wears a special white dress and goes to the church with a candle to light the way and sings a song.

Carson M.   – 2nd grade

Sweden

They have a King and Queen.  The Queens travels a lot.  Every midsummer they build a huge cross and put flowers on it and dance around it.  December 13th the oldest child wakes up early and wakes up the parents.  It has to be a blond hair girl that has a candle on her head because it’s the darkest night.  They eat pea soup with pancakes.  They have lobsters.  They crack the head open and eat it.  They also have boarding school where Mrs. Broms-Their  went to stay.  A lady author wrote Pippi Longstocking.  She is the strongest girl and she has adventures.   She has no parents.  Emil is a naughty boy that she wrote about. They made movies about both of them.

Angelina R.

map of Sweden

– 2nd grade

4 thoughts on “We learn about Sweden

1. Dear Carson and Angelina,
    What a lot of super facts about Sweden! You have taught me something new because I didn’t know about the custom for the longest night. However, I did know about Pippi Longstocking because I used to enjoy reading that when I was younger. In fact, 4KM and 4KJ in Australia http://4kmand4kj.global2.vic.edu.au/ have a post about Pippi Longstocking on their blog at the moment! Have you seen it?
    Do you know about Sweden’s most famous pop group, Abba? They are STILL very popular in the UK, even though most of their songs were produced and sung in the 1970s. People love to sing them at Karaoke!
    Your friend,
    Mrs Monaghan

• We listened to a short song by the Abba group and many of our teachers were familiar with it. We had hear the song on a movie. We thought their outfits were funny looking. It’s amazing that they are heard around the world.

2. Dear Mrs Todd and the Roadrunners,

Hi im in 4KJ and my name is Harry.

4KM and 4KJ have been reading Pippi Longstocking and we finish it on Friday.

My favourite chapter was Pippi goes to the circus.

I think the monkey was funny.

From,
    Harry 🙂 😉

• Hello Harry,
      If you are in 4KJ are you in fourth grade? What did you like so good about the circus chapter besides the funny monkey? Do you know of another character like Pippi? We also liked the monkey. Some of us wanted one. We saw a portion of the movie where they were flying over the ocean in a bed and suddenly they dropped down to the water. That’s where the speaker stopped the movie so we don’t know what happened next but we’d like to find out.