The Boy Who Biked the World

We have been busy exploring countries so as we begin our new read aloud we are tracking Tom’s adventures on his bicycle through Europe and into Africa.   Last year A Room with a View sent us this book and we all read it.  With a new group of students I wanted to share Tom’s adventures and challenges with the new group of students before the school year ends.  Our school year ends for the students on June 10th.

• What are the challenges he faces?  
  • What adventure do you think an explorer should see in Europe or in Africa?
  • What would be the most interesting country in Europe to visit and why?
  • What animals might we encounter on our trip through Europe and/or Africa?
  •  Where would your journey take you if you could take off anywhere you wanted?
  • What do you think the biggest challenges are for any traveler no matter where they are?
  • Tell us about a site to visit in your country and a food to try while visiting!!

We’d love to hear from every continent so if you read this please respond to our post with a comment.  Since we are exploring the world we’d love to see a comment from as many different places as possible.

2 thoughts on “The Boy Who Biked the World

1. Hi Roadrunners!
    I’m so happy to see that you are reading about Tom’s cycling adventure, it’s a great book with so much to think and talk about!
    Tom faces lots of challenges as he passes through so many diverse cultures, and it reminds me a bit of my holiday last summer when we visited 8 different countries! Sometimes we couldn’t speak or read the language (Poland, Hungary) but interestingly we could always make ourselves understood if we tried hard enough. How do you think we did that? Can you think of ways to communicate when you don’t share a language?
    I have visited a lot of countries in Europe already, and I love them all. I would like to go to the Baltic states – Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania – I think they would be very interesting and different. Although I’ve visited lots of different countries, each country is full of diversity and I’d like to return and see different areas, too! I’d love to travel more in Italy and Greece.
    I think if you were travelling through Africa, it would be imperative to take a safari trip to see the wild game – there can really be nothing more magnificent on this planet than seeing lions, giraffes, elephant, buffalo and leopard in the wild.
    As for the biggest challenge that faces a traveller… making sure you engage with the culture rather than sticking with what is familiar!
    I look forward to finding out what you enjoy most about your story.
    Happy reading!
    Mrs Monaghan

2. Joe and other students liked when he was in France and trying to communicate saying Afrique for Africa. He found it funny when Tom was trying out ways to communicate with the French woman. Adyson liked the part when the lady seemed to be so confused because she kept making faces. (using our mental images because there weren’t many pictures).
    Zachary liked learning about Arabic when it looked like spaghetti on the sign. ” I liked the part when he took the ferry boat because I think it would have been a good view”, said Charlie.
    McKenna liked the parts where he saw animals like boars, deer, and rabbits. Jordan likes the part where he is trying to learn the languages.